As the song by Jack Johnson goes, "It's always better when we're together."

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sleep, movies, and more!

Six and a half hours. Yes, six and a half. Nate let us sleep last night! I am not getting my hopes up that it will happen again tonight, but I woke up this morning and felt somewhat rested! 


As per my last blog, I am going to write about non-baby related happenings. Matt has been on vacation this week and we have used some of our time to watch some movies. We have seen three so far - Life As We Know It, It's Kind of a Funny Story, and Get Him to the Greek. Keep in mind that we have been seriously sleep deprived the past few weeks so what we find entertaining might be a little skewed at this point. 


We both enjoyed Life As We Know It. It was a very fitting movie for new parents (apart from the fact that the parents die in the movie). We were able to relate to the characters suddenly inheriting a child. I'm still amazed the hospital sent us home with our child without even so much as making us take an IQ test. We laughed throughout the movie and I would definitely recommend it to others. It's Kind of a Funny Story and Get Him to the Greek were entertaining, but nothing I'd really write home about. They kept us occupied for several hours!


Last night we watched a show on TLC called Extreme Couponing. Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people who use coupons to save money on groceries, etc. In fact, I wish I had the time, dedication, and organizational skills to get into the coupon game. I would love to know the ins and outs of doubling, stacking, and couponing in general. I will clip coupons and use them when there is something I need/want, but I am just too lazy to get the hang of how to actually use them the way some people do. However, some of the people on this show were nuts. I mean nuts. It truly is an art what they are able to do. The vast amount of products they are able to buy with such small amounts of money is amazing. But, I have to ask -- who needs 62 things of mustard? 34 things of Maalox? 124 boxes of pasta? 40 jars of spaghetti sauce? In my opinion, no one. My question is how in the world do they manage to actually use all of this stuff before it expires? (They did mention last night on the show that mustard doesn't go bad. I'm assuming the 62 things of mustard will now be their lifetime supply?) I know that Matt and I have trouble using a jar of salad dressing before it expires. Quite often I find myself throwing away a half-used jar of salad dressing. However, some of these people had a shelf of nothing but salad dressing. How do they use it all? Is it possible? I can understand the 1,100 rolls of toilet paper. That will get used, but the perishables?!?! I may be naive and they may have a great system, but I know we would never use all of that in my house before it expired.


I will mention that there was one guy who mentioned donating items to his church's food bank. I think that is an awesome way to help others and still get your couponing fix. I will admit that I will probably tune in next week just to see more coupon craziness. However, you will not see me at Publix with seven shopping carts filled to the brim with random stuff anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment